The Firm brings a wealth of knowledge to the authorization and implementation process of complex ecosystem restoration initiatives. Bringing over 15 years of experience with Everglades, Lake Okeechobee and Kissimmee River restoration, we know the complexities of Federal and State restoration initiatives and how to navigate them. Several processes are at work simultaneously such as federal/state authorizations and appropriations, federal and state rulemaking, legislative initiatives, project documentation and alternatives analysis pursuant to the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and the Clean Water Act (CWA) and building support to prioritize various projects. We have worked with Agricultural, Tribal, local government, not-for-profit and private sector clients to understand and effectively participate in these types of initiatives.
With the passage of the RESTORE Act and in implementing the various initiatives for Gulf of Mexico restoration, local and state governments are required to create Multi-Year Plans, with a minimum 5-year planning horizon, including milestones, a schedule and a system to monitor performance for RESTORE Act implementation (H.R. 4348, Public Law 112-141, Subtitle F). These Plans must conform to the following requirements:
- Meet procedural requirements of Department of Treasury Regulations to be developed
- Meet specified project criteria in Section 1603(t)(1)(B) of the Act (11 project purposes)
- Include milestones, a schedule and performance measures
- Include projects based on meaningful public input representative of the community
- Base projects for natural system restoration on best available science
- Be consistent with all applicable rules and laws
- Include an implementation component outlining the flow of funds, accountability and documenting expenditures and audit requirements.
The Firm has developed a multi-disciplined Team to help local governments and stakeholders navigate Gulf restoration and all of its complexities are the federal and state levels including federal rulemaking for Department of Treasury Regulations, the development of Multi-Year Plans, government outreach, environmental resource planning and other support services.